Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Sennheiser HD 598 Review





Maker's Product Page: here
Store: Virgin Megastores, Cairo, Egypt. Also available in most major electronics outlets in UAE for about AED 1,550. Probably not available in KSA
Price: EGP 2,450
Video Review: Here

Recommended for: Sound staging (hearing instruments as if they are played separately, like when you attend a concert; you have to hear this to know what it means). This design also is going to reproduce all sounds in a magnificent matter, but it is not going to boost low frequencies like a Beats/ SMS set. Used the set while watching Fight Club Remastered Edition with DTS audio. While there's a lot of low frequency effects that I never heard before, I would say that I'm probably still not used to that much sound. Had a similar experience years ago when I first heard a Hi-Fi setup.

Notes:

  • Since this is a premium set, I thought that I would need to buy a headphone amplifier. Currently, the only maker that has any mention in the region is FiiO.
  • I checked Reddit.com headphone's section, where they made a list of recommended sets in every price range. While any set can benefit from a headphone amplifier, the need for one with this set is "slight". Would definitely still consider it in the future, but I'm saving some spoils for later.
  • For the time being, I am mostly using it with Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround Pro 5.1 for quality benefits over the built-in Realtek codec in my laptop. Just worth noting, the difference isn't huge, but when you spend that much on headphones, you probably want to squeeze every ounce of quality out of it.
  • Unlike Momentum, this set doesn't ship with a carrying case, but you can order one from Amazon.com, or go Budget-friendly (and that's what I did) and pick one from eBay for about 12 GBP. Still haven't received mine yet.


What I listen to currently: a little Carlos Santana, Django's sound track (amazing strings works), Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, Metallica Load, Black Album, and Aerosmith Just Push Play for its colorful music.

I would definitely recommend this set, but this definitely shouldn't be your first step into the audio quality pit; the more you'll dig, the deeper it gets. For starters, I would probably recommend the entry-level Sennheiser HD 201 or PX-200 II. You can also consider Koss Porta Pro if you can find it.

Why Not Momentum?
 This is entirely dependant on your taste in music. While Momentum is pushed by Sennheiser and is highly acclaimed by reviewers, its closed-back design decreases its sound staging ability when compared to this set.



Related Articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment