Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Sennheiser MX 685 Sports Earbuds


 
Adidas Sennheiser MX 685 Sports Earphones - You got what you paid for


Colour: Blue/ Silver
Buying Price: AED 199
Rated Frequency Response: 18-20,000 Hz
SPL: 120 dB
Cord Length: 1.2m
Jack: 3.5mm
Impedence: 16 Ohms
In the Box: Sennheiser MX 685 earphones, pouch, extra ear pads, user manual, cable clip
Store: Virgin Megastores, UAE


I got frustrated with the stock ear buds that are provided with my phone, SE standard pair. Not that they don't sound okay, but seriously my ear is hurting, and it's not from loud music. Another concern for me was the angle at which they were placed into my ear. This made a phenomenal difference. And it is a bit tricky to adjust it when you're jogging or when you are coming back from work in a crowded bus or subway.

So I decided that I needed a new pair. I wanted to consider all form factors so I went on and I tried some travel over-head pairs before finally getting this one. Unfortunately, all stores don't allow testing of in-ear sets, for understandable reasons, so I could't have a hands-on experience before I bought it.

I have to say, after hearing other pairs which have bigger drivers ( typically over head full-sized sets ), you can't be satisfied with earphones. So testing the set right after buying it, I was disappointed. But that's not the end of the story. After playing a couple of tracks I was actually satisfied with the quality. Clear detailed midrange and high frequency performance, the bass doesn't punch you in the ear though ( not that it is a bad thing ). So for a music experience while on the move this can't be a bad choice for that price. The main nuisance though is that the fin hurts your ear too, but I guess that this is a must with most sports-oriented sets, to ensure that it is held in place with tugs and cord pulls. I believe that all the Adidas-branded sets use the same drivers but have different frames that hold the earpiece in place and maybe some quirks, but they all have the same mediocre frequency range of 18-20,000 Hz (CX 680, CX 680i, MX 680i, OMX 680, PMX 680i). The fins are adjustable to fit any ear size, which is decent. All in all, if you want a decent quality set for exercising  this cannot be a bad choice. I haven't tried the other sets myself but I don't think there is going to be a huge difference.

Note: buying the pair from Virgin Megastores in this case didn't add any advantage to me, since Sennheiser headsets are provided with international warranty. So in case you travel you can still enjoy a valid warranty. So maybe I paid a few extra Dirhams.


See Also:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information with us but this time I am looking for Plantronics Headsets.

    ReplyDelete